All of the libraries on this website are the result of extreme dogfooding.
The idea behind this principle is that not only are the libraries used in anger in real life production code, but that also:
- The libraries’ design (and even the idea itself) emerged from heavy refactoring rather than out of the blue.
- The libraries are built and trialed in real life situations to eliminate most of the bugs.
- New features are rarely, if ever, added because they seem like a cool idea.
- New features are added only if here is a clear and obvious need for it in a real life situation OR because it makes existing code significantly cleaner.
- API design is built around making the code that the library is used in cleaner.