What is YAML?
YAML is a simple, human readable format for representing associative and hierarchical data.
Example from wikipedia page on YAML:
receipt: Oz-Ware Purchase Invoice date: 2012-08-06 customer: first name: Harry family name: Potter address: |- 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, England items: - part_no: A4786 description: Water Bucket (Filled) price: 1.47 quantity: 4 - part_no: E1628 description: High Heeled "Ruby" Slippers size: 8 price: 133.7 quantity: 1
- Things which are associated with other things - delimited by the colon (:).
- Ordered lists of things - delimited by the prepended dash (-).
- Multi-line strings - delimited by the bar (|) if there is another newline at the end of the string, or bar + dash (|-) if not.
- Indentation describing the hierarchy of data.
- Maps directly to data types common to most high level languages - lists, dicts, scalars.
You don't need to know much more than this.