Why not X?
There are a number of formats and approaches that can achieve more or less the same purpose as StrictYAML. Below is a series of comparisons with some of the more famous ones:
- Why not JSON for simple configuration files?
- What is wrong with TOML?
- Why not use the YAML 2.0 standard? - we don’t need a new standard!
- Why not use kwalify with standard YAML to validate my YAML?
- Why not use python’s schema library (or similar) for validation?
- Why not HOCON?
- Why not JSON5?
- Why not use XML for configuration or DSLs?
- Why shouldn’t I just use python code for configuration?
- Why not use INI files?
- Why not use SDLang?
- Why avoid using environment variables as configuration?
- Why not use JSON Schema for validation?
If you’d like to write or link to a rebuttal to any argument raised here, feel free to raise a ticket.